Tampa Osteopathic Hospital

Following serious marital discord (my fault), I had pretty much given up on life but Ray Rooney got me to go back to Bay View Hospital for a short interval and then I found a hospital in Tampa Florida that could use my services.  It was owned by Buddy Beville D.O. and was a nice little osteopathic hospital.  I don't think it's possible for me to explain the being that was Buddy Beville. ; maybe later.  I moved to Tampa in 1971 and was overjoyed to finally be busy and actually needed again.  The sunshine, after leaving Ohio in February, the fresh air following wonderful spring storms.  One day, I was doing a surgery when all the lights went out.  The nurses quickly grabbed flashlights and thankfully I was near the end of the procedure and finished it under flashlights.  I was told this was the way it was done.  I complained to the administrator and after some weeks, we had an emergency generator.  I had occasion to require the emergency generator more than once until one day...the lights went out....oh, did I tell you there were no windows in the OR, so it got spelunking dark...and I asked what happened to the emergency generator.  They said Manny Zuniga, the maintenance man, had gone home and nobody knew how to start the generator.  I finished that procedure with flashlight power and then found Manny and learned to start the generator myself.  More than once in weeks following, I had to break scrub and go start the emergency generator myself then re-scrub and finish the procedure.  I complained aggressively to Mr. Anderson the administrator who suffered mildly from Tourettes syndrome.  In a few weeks we finally had an emergency generator that self started.  If one has never experienced thunderstorms in Tampa, they have truly missed some excitement. In a similar realm of function as a trauma surgeon, Ray Rooney and I had talked about the need for emergency logistics.  Tampa had young highschool girls we called Osteoettes who put time in at the hospital, running chores and some minor patient care duties.  I decided to show the staff what it would be like if we had to deal with a disaster.  We chose the day and the girls got made up into the wildest goriest makeup they could manage and they were delivered en masse to the hospital to show the staff what such an onslaught would be like, what it would require logistically and physically.  They all had tags with a diagnosis, the nurses learned triage and pharmacy and services discovered the manner to deal with all the needs that were posed.  The second time we did this, I think a full year later, Tampa Civil Defense people and newspapers came and I'm quite sure that this was the beginning of Hurricane Disaster Drills and more.  It got way out of hand.  The first year the city had a disaster drill, they had a plane crash into Tampa stadium...with many busloads of students dressed to the hilt.  Two firemen had heart attacks in transporting people in the heat of outdoor Tampa.  I know that I can feel responsible for Disaster Preparedness in Florida.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Tampa Osteopathic Hospital

1. Eugene Stafford Jr. says:

Could you furnish the address of the Tampa Osteopathic Hospital?
    Someone was born there, and we are trying to find the location.
    Eugene

2. Candace (Candy) says:

I was born January 29th 1971 I believe at Tampa Osteopathic Hospital, I was given up for adoption and adoped by Dr. Robert Greiner (who I believe also worked at the hospital) my birth mothers physician was Dr. Carlos Barbas. Just wondering if anyone would know how I could get my medical records from 1971. (my 1st adoptive father Dr. Greiner passed away from cancer when I was 4 and at that time I was given up for adoption again) Trying to find my biological mother who was 14 years old when I was born.

3. drbob says:

WOW. If you remember Buddy as a “young” doctor, I have to ask your age. 🙂 He was quite a guy. Very well oriented and never wanted for much of anything. He certainly helped me many times in getting to practice in Florida. Were you at his funeral? They had him with his corncob pipe nestled in his hands and his glasses down on his nose like we most often saw him.

4. Anne Harder says:

Dr. Buddy Beville is my father. I have a daughter that we adopted from Tampa Osteopathic Hospital.Dr Griener delivered her. His wife brought over some dresses that belong to their little girl. She told me she had been adopted and always tell her she was adopted because she found out in her teenage years that she was adopted. We have no idea where any records went , we have asked. Dad sold that and bought St Petersburg Osteopathic Hospital.

• drbob says:

I apologize for getting to this so late. I’m not real knowing about my site, and haven’t been back to it in way too many months.
      I’m very surprised to hear he had a daughter. I recall one son who wrote up a disaster plan for the area. I was the originator and then he (and I can’t remember his name) wrote it up formally. I wonder if he is alive and still has the dissertation. Please forgive my delay. My e-maii is drbob@sunsetcom.com

• Anne Harder says:

Bruce Beville and Lee Beville are my brothers. Bruce is the one you are thinking about. I lived in Texas.

• drbob says:

I wonder if Bruce still has the disaster plan he wrote. He and I are responsible for the Hurricane disaster plans that are now a major impact on the whole area, and I feel he should be recognized.

5. drbob says:

He was uncommonly soft spoken and I almost never saw him angry. I know I ruffled his feathers on occasion but we always made up. He changed my life for the better at a time when I REally needed it.

6. Amy Mayer Howard says:

I was born at Tampa Osteopathic Hospital on April 17, 1971. My parents were Dr. Daniel B. Mayer, DO and Carole Mayer. I just happened upon this blog, while looking for the location of where the hospital used to be.

• drbob says:

Hi Amy. So strange for you to find me. I knew your Dad and your uncle well. I did a few surgeries at their hospital. TOH was on South Manhattan Ave one block north of Gandy. Did that answer your question? Thank you for finding me. 😉